The information below is outlined in the Membership Agreement / Section 7
When can a Subscriber enroll?
- Upon the company's initial effective date.
- During the company's annual Open Enrollment Period.
- Within thirty-one (31) days of your date of hire (or thirty-one (31) days after meeting the employer's waiting period.)
- Within thirty-one (31) days of first becoming eligible under the employer's policy (for example, an employee switches from part-time to full-time and therefore, becomes eligible for coverage under the Plan);
- Within thirty-one (31) days after moving your residence into the HNE service area.
Are there any times when an employee can enroll outside the above time periods?
Yes. Under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), if they did not enroll in the Plan when first eligible, they will be allowed to enroll themselves and their eligible dependents at a later date if any of the below conditions are met:
- They did not enroll in HNE because they, their spouse or an eligible dependent had other insurance when they otherwise became eligible to enroll in HNE, and that coverage was subsequently lost as a result of a certain event, such as a loss of eligibility for coverage, expiration of COBRA Continuation Coverage, termination of employment or reduction in the number of hours of employment, or because employer contributions towards such coverage were terminated.
- If the employee marries; or
- If they acquire a new dependent through birth, adoption or placement for adoption.
If the employee meets any of the above conditions, they must make a written request for enrollment within thirty (30) days of the date of the event. Their coverage with HNE will be effective as of the date of the event.
What happens if they are already enrolled but then marry, or acquire a new dependent?
If they marry or acquire a new dependent, they may add their new dependent to the Plan. They must submit to HNE an Enrollment/Add Form. HNE may also require documents that prove that the new dependent is eligible. They must submit this information to HNE within thirty-one (31) days of the effective date. If they do not notify HNE within thirty-one (31) days of the effective date, they may add new dependents only at their company's next Open Enrollment Period.
The effective date of coverage for new dependents will be the date of:
- Adoption or placement for adoption;
- Legal guardianship; or
- The subscribers becoming legally responsible for the dependent's health care coverage.
How do they enroll?
To enroll in HNE they must meet the eligibility requirements listed in the Membership Agreement. They must also submit the following to HNE within thirty-one (31) days of the requested effective date of coverage: a completed and signed Enrollment/Add form, any other forms or information as HNE may request.